Saturday, April 22, 2006

She Came To Me

4-22-06 Starbucks at Calle Real



I was sitting there writing the autobiography & she walked in the door & was sitting next to me with her back to me & she almost turned to me to reveal her face to me which I had partially glimpsed as she moved toward the table. Good looking. Extremely good looking. Adult. Neatly brushed grayish brown hair. Adult and still retaining her beauty. And immediately I thought of Wendy Reeves. That is who her face recalled. The most beautiful woman I have known in my life who I haven't seen for more than 25 years. A young woman the daughter a university student was with the woman & the husband. And I could feel it was wrong. The marriage the family---wrong. There was complaining by husband father addressed to the daughter about college responsibilities. I wasn't listening but I wanted this woman's attention. But it was impossible. This was a nuclear mismarriage. It felt unhappy. And I thought: Yes, Wendy still loves me. We're still in love after all these years. I'm still in love with her sitting here at Starbucks writing away and glancing at this lovely woman in her 50's with her face still beautiful. Wendy is also in her 50's.

Then the husband and wife and daughter walked out the door and across the parking lot. I watched them walk all the way to the intersection. They didn't even have their car with them. As I do not have a car. Probably staying at a motel a few blocks away and they are in town to visit their daughter who is a student at UCSB. This beautiful mother was wearing a green jacket. Then she took it off as she was sitting there & revealed a striped shirt underneath that was also mainly green. And I said to myself: yes, Mr. Greenfield, there's hope. This lady is Green on the outside & Green on the inside and that means the Green Light for Greenfield. Open Sesame. I was calm by this time. And I continued to pen my story into my notebook. And then I got up & put on my jacket and my scarf & I headed out to the parking lot and up the strreet to the store to buy some popcorn and a movie for the night and I wondered where Wendy is & what she looks like & what she'd have to say to me if we met & what I'd have to say to her. Then I walked home and made myself a vegetarian drink & I began to watch the Clippers win their first playoff game. But then this movie came on "Something's Gotta Give" with Diane Keaton & Jack Nicholson. And it's a terrific movie about this older couple who fall head over heels ass over teakettle in love and they tell it like it is. And this movie was better than the one I checked out at Wherehouse. It's a damned good love story. About the best I've ever seen Keaton. A believable story. And that's where matters stand now---ten minutes after the movie ended.


RLG Copyright 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home