Monday, December 04, 2006

My Dad

l2-4-06



When Pa died I was living at 209 N. Venice Blvd in Venice, CA, a couple of blocks from the Pacific Ocean. I didn't go to the funeral in Wisconsin because I was too involved in my love life with Wendy Reeves. At the time Wendy & I were not on speaking terms but she lived only 3 blocks away from where I lived & nothing else in my life mattered. The last time I saw Pa he took me to Helen's Kitchen a Dutch restaurant in Waupun, Wis. (pop. 7,500). He told me to try a piece of pie. And when it came time to pay the bill I reached for my wallet but he would have none of it. Nothing had changed. Pa was still Boss of all the estates & though in L.A. I was known as an undissimulating poet here I was still a kid of 38 who couldn't foot the bill for his dad's cup of coffee & his own piece of pie.

RLG copyright 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home