Thursday, October 19, 2006

Poetry Is Happening

rlgreenfieldl@netscape.com


l0-l9-06 Poetry Is Happening


Poetry is happening. I know because Poetry made me happen. And you cannot get this from a book or a class. You have to wait for The Visitation from The Sacred Muse. And if you are an unbeliever you are s.o.l. Shit out of luck. But you can get other things from workshops and the group and wise teachers. You can learn how to listen. Possibly. Though this is most unusual, a rare experience. Just listen. Find out what you hear. In ten years you may never hear one necessary thing. But you may in the meantime have learned truly how to listen. That is an end in itself. I mean primordial listening. I don't know if you are equipped with the vital requirements. I do know only true unadulterated poetry can make a thing happen. Cars can't make things happen. Guns certainly don't make things happen. Machines are not properly constituted to make a thing happen. Only The Sacred Muse can really get a hold of your solar plexus of creative potency and charge your battery. I've been doing this my entire poetic life. Charging people's batteries. Including a few women. Here is what I wonder: where are the battery-chargers when I need them. Where are they? Nowhere to be seen or heard from. I must believe there is a reason for this absolute absence of encouragement in my life. And thus of course I put my faith in what is Real not what is merely hinted at by certain seductive eyes and lips and facial conditions. The Golden Muse of Poetry is irresistible. People---the grand mob of human flesh that great middle class of money-hungry emotion-starved billions--- don't really want anything to do with Poetry. Nobody in his or her right mind asks their kid to grow up to be a poet. For only God (The Muse) can guarantee that a child become an actual poet. For he and she will hear a different Voice than Everychild. That was The Voice Socrates heard & Jesus heard & Gandhi heard. It is a private voice. And it is the voice of Loneliness. Baudelaire heard it. Albert Camus heard it. In this matter we do not do the choosing. Poetry like love is not voluntary. The Real Poetry. It is a Visitation from The Goddess. The Muse never wastes a syllable. That's why she so often appears in dreams to make us search for her exact meaning.

RLG Copyright 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home