Thursday, February 23, 2006

Mozart's 15th Symphony On My Transistor Radio

2-23-06 Early Morning Thoughts


I hopped the city bus to Starbucks as I do 7 mornings/wk to begin my day. I write every morning 365 days/yr. This a.m. I had my transistor radio hooked up to KUSC FM radio & heard Mozart's 15th Symphony which the great Wolfgang composed at age 15! And I thought to myself. Ok, high school boys & girls of America, forgit about Michael Jordan and being a super jock or Rock & Roll star. Why not imitate the master Composer?

We need to rediscover our reason for existence it seems to me. And personally I don't think we are going to find it at the University of Iowa Writing workshops or on ESPN sports or CNN. We need to get a New Face! Freud once said that after 50 everybody has the Face he or she deserves. I don't know why 50. But I say to myself: Greenfield, Get a new face! Buy a new ballpoint pen. Do something true & pure. Like this. Write one perfect sentence on The White Page. Make beauty Possible. Perfect yourself. We need help. Mere words will not do. The sun is my dwelling place.The facts are on fire. The facts freeze. The 4 F's. Facts Facts Facts Facts.

This tale is my story. I didn't steal it from The Twilight Zone. There is no irony here. How many people put a stamp on the language that is irrevocable? Here is my opinion. "Literature" is a pastime-----& the stuff of self-important college professors & pedants. The fact that professors are paid hefty salaries & ensconced in "chairs" at the university does not negate the fact that literature is pastime. Few of us have the aptitude for Divine Pleasure. It is a gift that comes straight down to us from Mount Olympus.

There are these university & Border's Books "congregations" of scholars writers talking non stop & publishing 20 million volumes on HOW TO. Yeah. HOW DO I DO IT?


Ask Dr. Phil.
He's got The Pill.
Tell Momma Oprah.
She's got The Quota.
Confess to Dave Letterman.
He'll make you a Better-man.
Pray to Jay Leno.
He'll give you a free rental.
Say plastic or paper----
Take out or eat here, Sir?
Leave room for some cream, Sir?
Would you like a bag, Sir?
Say Thank You, say Please, Sir
I didn't mean to be, Sir,
so grammatically insouciant.
Why, Sir, not buy, Sir,
this improbable tie, Sir?
Say Yes, Sir--Say No, Sir,
Which way shall I go, Sir?
Say thank you, say, Please, Sir,
I didn't mean to be, Sir,
It's just that you got in my way.


RLG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home