Thursday, June 15, 2006

Hooking Up

6-15-06 I'm In Elementary School Again



Hooking up. What does that mean? I saw the phrase in a book written by the maverick chronicler Tom Wolfe. Wolfe went around to some colleges interviewing co-eds concerning sexuality and other intimate matters going on in the university. Like me he was curious. He didn't know the lingo of university students any more. And he probably still doesn't. I know what he means. I see these lovely women and they seem friendly. But what does that mean? It means nothing other than itself to start with of course. What are our possibilities? We have an age differential to begin with. This needs an instant evaluation. I need to know where a specific woman stands on this question. That can really open up the windows and doors. And what is first base? I'm serious. Is first base a conversation with a woman or is it a minimum of one date? Or does it mean at the very least a major kiss? I was thinking it must be at least a kiss. Today I noticed a woman who has been living in the back of my consciousness for a long time. All of a sudden there she is and all my silent vows for celibacy evaporate. Of course I have no formal vows of celibacy. Sometimes I just put women out of my mind---when nothing is happening physically & actually between us. When I get excited by a woman my brain goes immediately into overdrive. It tells me I need a plan and right now. I hate it when my brain does that. But I believe my brain is absolutely right on this. That's what this getting to first base is all about. I am putting it out here on the white page to honestly give myself some room. That's what my brain told me to do. And I might get some help if the right woman looks at it. Plus, If I see the words on the page myself I might do something to end this void. And this is true. I need encouragement from the ladies. No doubt about that. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the middle of a supermarket and I'm starving simply because I don't know the rules for engagement with the opposite sex. Ever hear that phrase before? It was popular before the sexual revolution. I don't want to make light of this. This is no joke. Reminds me of a reporter asking the great former Governor of Illinois Adlai Stevenson how it felt to lose the Presidency a second time to Eisenhower. Stevenson said, "I'm too old to cry, but it hurts too much to laugh.' The reporter then asked him what he would do now. And Stevenson gave this memorable reply: "I'm going to sit in the shade with a glass of wine and watch the dancers." Well, that is a great answer and a kind of verbal victory, almost a tonic, but it is not on my agenda for the summer of '06.

So, I see the lovely lady and I must say truthfully I am aroused on this beautiful late spring day. And all I need is a little encouragement. How do we end this stalemate? How do we get to first base? It takes two to tango, a woman once told me. After all she is part of this operation, I hope. She is part of this operation---how do I get her involved? How do we get moving in the same direction? Yes, that's it---walking together in the same direction. I'm thinking summer is almost here. Movies. Warm summer nights. Summer is the best time for Love.




RLG Copyright 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home