Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Starbucks Postmodern Love

1 March 06 Starbucks Love



I met her there one day and she had clean hair. And of course that was not all. It never is. She had a pure face. And she opened the door for me. I never know what to say at the moment of crisis. That is the moment our eyes come together in the blender. I always figure that IS saying it. That look. To add words to it is superfluous. But of course then I ended up walking home alone. Ate supper alone that night. Same old story. Which is why this past New Year's I made a vow henceforth to treat my love life exactly like a business account. More exactly, treat romance like money. It's an exact quantity. It can be counted. This is how much love I have in my account right now, 1 March, 2006 C.E. (Christian Era)-----blank blank blank blank & so on. And you can either spend it and get something specific in return or you can hang onto the money for dear life & watch it collect interest at about 2.1 percent & dropping. What else is the point of having money if not to spend it on the best of all possible causes? Ditto with love. What good is love sitting in the bank collecting low interest rates & not being active in the world of commerce? Might as well spend it. Because if you spend love wisely it tends to multiply.

And here I have without conscious intent brought up two terrific subjects that invade our lives from all directions: Love & Money. They are considered opposites by the church and also by many lovers. At least until it's time to pay the bills. Somehow too much money can corrupt good love it is thought. Because money buys material possessions but it cannot buy true love. Or so I have believed all these years. Maybe I'm way out of wack affirming these 19th century ideas. Just one hour ago I finished watching 'PRIDE & PREJUDICE' with Keira Knightley based on The Jane Austen novel. It is quite a pure movie. And it definitely is about love and money. Though I had no intention of bringing it up until this moment when it popped into view. And I have no more to say of it except it is certainly worth watching. Love & The Beautiful face. The face of The Bride. Money can buy you a big smooth shining automobile and a house if you have a great deal of it. Money can buy you flashy or elegant things. And these can comfort you when Love is not knocking at your door. In fact you may fall in love with money. Many people have. And they have never gone back to the real thing. Sex is a train wreck compared to money. Say a million one hundred dollar bills. That's a lot of money. Now cash that in for Love. It's not easy to do. Most love banks won't accept cash. They want something more durable. Something they can kiss and hug & hold in their arms and stroke. OK. I hear you. You are going to sleep with greenbacks. And make love with money. OK. I give up. You convinced me. It's worth a try. But even Elvis Presley never took it that far.

Me, I don't know anything about love any more. Strangest thing happened to me. All my love affairs went blank. My romantic palimpsest got erased. All that love that was in my bank account---all those deep true love kisses, those long clinging mutual hugs of passion. Wiped off my Memory Index. Now my pysche is a tabula rasa---a blank slate. I don't know if this is good or bad. I forgot how to do the simplest things that once came so natural to me they never crossed my mind. I'd just slide over on the car seat and it would begin. The whole wondrous miraculous operation of the first kiss. It would happen out of the blind. I was like a happy stunned witness to my own blind spontaneous operations. My hands my arms my lips were secret messengers of the covenant---angels operating unhesitantly on their own autonomy. And passionate angels. Full of tenderness and ardor. Well, that's over. This is an entirely new planet. The one I am now living in. The desire feels the same. But somehow somebody made up a whole new book of rules. And I don't know the language. I'm still talking American English that I learned in college & even high school with a bunch of unique words thrown in from my writer friends. I don't know what the hell is going on with the women. They are as pure of face as ever. Like Keira Knightley in that movie tonight. But they never take my hand in theirs & give me the straight dope on how to get to first base. And then second base. Third. Home plate. In fact I learned these strange words from a book called "HOOKING UP" written by an old guy. Time to go back to elementary school & get the facts.


RLG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home